Museum informatie

Museum De Lakenhal
Oude singel 32
2312 RA
Leiden

+31 (0)71 5165360
info@lakenhal.nl

Openingstijden

Dag Van Tot
Maandag Gesloten
Dinsdag Gesloten
Woensdag Gesloten
Donderdag Gesloten
Vrijdag Gesloten
Zaterdag Gesloten
Zondag Gesloten
The Museum is currently closed due to restoration and expansion. The Museum will reopen 20 juni 2019
starLid van MuseumTV

Museum De Lakenhal


The museum is settled in the former cloth hall from 1640 in Leiden. Museum De Lakenhal (Museum The Cloth Hall) makes visual arts, crafts, and history in Leiden accessible for a wide audience. The museum inspires and contributes to personal development. De Lakenhal possesses mainly local objects that visualize the history of Leiden. For instance, the museum possesses art work by big, famous artists such as Rembrandt van Rijn and Lucas van Leyden, but also works by artists from Leiden, such as Jan Lievens, Jan Steen, Quiringh van Brekelenkam, Gerrit Dou, Menso Kamerlingh Onnes, and H.P. Bremmer. The museum also has a part dedicated to Theo van Doesburg who lived in Leiden when he, amongst others, started The Style in 1917.

The Lakenhal renewed

The restoration and expansion of the museum started on Monday October 17th 2016. The expected reopening will be in the spring of 2019. Highlights from the museum will be ‘traveling’ to different museums, such as the Dordrechts Museum, het Mauritshuis in The Hague, and the Rijksmuseum. You can find the current overview here.

The building

Museum De Lakenhal has been located in the monumental ‘Laecken-Halle’ from 1640, since its establishment in 1874. The building has undergone multiple changes in the past centuries. During the Statue Storm – a term used for outbreaks of destruction of religious images that occurred in Europe in the 16th century. – the art pieces were hung in a monastery, for protection. In 1574, important historical objects were being presented at the city hall. 1640 was the year that the Lakenhal was built. In 1820 the Lakenhal lost its purpose of being the approval hall for cloth materials. From that moment on, the Lakenhal is being used as Manufacturershall and cholera hospital.

Before the Lakenhal became a museum, several expositions were organized in the city hall of Leiden, for multiple years. In 1868 the Lakenhal was appointed as the city museum, and in 1869 the renovations started. In 1890 the museum opened her doors in the Lakenhal with the opening of the new Hartevelt-room. The first exhibition presented modern arts. With the opening of the Pape-wing in 1922, the museum became almost twice as big.

 

The mission of MuseumTV is to introduce art and culture to the biggest audience possible. We do this on our joint video on demand platform for Dutch museums. Through our partners we bring the platform to the attention of the Dutch public actively.

expand_less